Monday, July 5, 2010

Tried It & Liked It 7/5/10


In my latest culinary thoughts, I've discovered a few new prepackaged or convenience foods that I really, just really, like. So I thought I'd pass along the information in case you've eyed these things on the store shelves and have thought about giving them a try.



The first is new variety of Oscar Meyer hot dogs. Long have Hebrew National beef hot dogs reigned supreme in this house but I recently spied some Nitrate Free Angus Beef Oscar Meyer hot dogs. Now, I'm not really afraid of nitrates. I buy regular bacon and regular deli meat but I thought I'd go ahead and try these. They are really, really good in my opinion. They have a good "snap" to them when you bite in. They also have a really good spicy, savory taste to them. Reminiscent of maybe a good, non-tangy summer sausage? I'd say thumbs up on this one!

The second is some new flavors of Lays Potato Chips. I'm a potato chip fiend. But the past year, I've tried to stay free of msg (monosodium glutamate) and many, many of the flavored potato chips include this ingredient. Why? Because it makes them taste good! Aldi's sour cream and onion chips are msg free, as well as their plain. But Lays has baked up (or rather fried up) Tangy Carolina BBQ & Garden Tomato & Basil. Both are good tasting. If you are more traditional in your chips flavor then I would really suggest the BBQ. The Garden Tomato & Basil is fresh tasting though, and will grow on you especially if you like dishes such as bruschetta.

No comments: