Monday, August 23, 2010

Home Preservation

Hello! Wow - once again, the busy-ness of life has caught me off guard and I have not kept you all up to date on what we've been eating. I know the extreme sadness this must have caused you (excuse me, my tongue is in my cheek ;) )

The garden is in full swing! Although the first planting of cucumbers is dwindling down, I've still got another, smaller planting now producing. The tomatoes are getting their "I'm tired" look but the peppers are blushing just like a new bride. Here's a list of what I've canned and preserved (not in it's entirety but close):

Tomato Juice
Salsa
Italian Seasoned Tomato Sauce
Dried Tomatoes
Really Quick Dill Pickles
Quick Sweet Pickle Slices
Honeyed Pickled JalapeƱos
Southeast Asian Chile Garlic Relish
Dried (and crushed) Anaheim Peppers
Blueberry Lime Jam
Peach Jam
Spiced Peach Jam
Dried Sage (need to do more!)
Dried Dill (need to do more!)
Dried Thyme (need to do more!)

.....I'm sure the list will continue to grow :) I've also done some freezing: like 11 pounds of chopped onions.

I'll also keep my bell peppers and hot peppers that I haven't been able to use fresh and freeze them.

I get an immense sense of satisfaction by putting up the food I've grown, seeing the clean jars that glimmer like jewels on the counter beside the stove. Adding the dehydrator has been a nice addition to canning and freezing. What have you been putting away for the upcoming months?

No comments: