Monday, March 1, 2010

Butternut Squash Casserole

Now, normally, I don't really like sweet vegetables and for the record, I'd rather not have my butternut squash taste like a dessert. But the kids really do love this and I guess I'll sweeten it up if it means that every once in awhile, I can get them to eat their vegetables!

Butternut Squash Casserole

2 1/2 Cups Butternut Squash, cooked & mashed
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk (if you have buttermilk on hand, use that)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix squash, eggs, sugar, butter, cinnamon, and ginger. Pour into a 1.5 to 2 quart baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle coconut and then walnuts on top. Bake in preheated oven for roughly 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I am totally making this! My family is going to start having a dinner once a month or so. Now that we've all moved out we miss each other. We are going to be rotating side dishes and I think this one is perfect! I have to leave out the walnuts since my sister is allergic :(

JustaHousebear