Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pancakes....Healthy?

Yesterday morning I decided to make pancakes for breakfast. It is not a common thing that we have something like pancakes on a weekday morning. We usually save such meals for the weekend but with the cold weather, I thought something warm besides oatmeal was in order. I went to my favorite recipe website, allrecipes.com, and typed in pancakes. I remembered making these one day when my wonderful husband was not here. They were really good so I decided to make them again with just a few modifications to fit what is in my cupboard.

Wheat Germ Whole Wheat Pancakes
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups buttermilk (or substitute 2 cups milk with 2 Tbl. vinegar)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Mix all the ingredients together and fry up the pancakes as usual, about a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Serve as you would any other pancake. Here in our house we like butter, maple syrup, whipped cream and sprinkles. :)

My dh said they were great. But he likes to make his pancakes a little bit healthier. "But they are healthy!" I said in reply. He thought I had used all white flour. That is because they are very light and fluffy for using the heavier whole wheat flour, not to mention wheat germ. So give them a try! Maybe your family will not notice the extra fiber in their diet. :)

No comments: